Sunday, January 10, 2016

What Is on Your Reading List for 2016?

photo cred: © Aleksi Tappura – Unsplash

I got quite a bit of reading done last year, but I want to set a steep goal for myself in 2016. No, I don't mean that I want to read a set number of books in the year.

My goal for 2016 is to read the texts I should have read and to reread books of consequence.

What I mean is that in 2016, I want to read books in fantasy that define the genre, books written by Eastern writers, books written by authors of color. I want to submerse myself in heretofore avoided commercially successful series. I want to read the books that inspired some of my favorite movies. I want to read classics that will leave me awake at night. I want to absorb cultural folktales and dine on regional legends.

So, in no particular order, here are some of the texts I want to devour in 2016:

The Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling
The Gormenghast Series by Mervyn Peake
The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
Various Scottish, Irish, Russian, Chinese, and Indian folktales
One Jane Austen novel
Two Shakespearean plays
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Two China Mieville novels
Sula by Toni Morrison
Watership Down by Richard Adams
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
Two Terry Pratchett novels
One Marion Zimmer Bradley novel
The Coldfire Trilogy by C. S. Friedman
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
One Dark Tower novel by Stephen King
The Once and Future King by T. H. White
The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
One book by Jacqueline Carey
Dracula by Bram Stoker
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler
Two epic classics
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
Poetry by Mary Oliver
Two fairy tale adaptations
One novel by Juliet Marillier
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

What is on your reading list for 2016?
Do you have any recommendations for mine?


No comments: