Saturday, July 18, 2015

Beware the Perfumed Seneschal


"Hear me, Daenerys Targaryen. The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun’s son and the mummer’s dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."
This warning from Quaithe to Daenerys in A Dance with Dragons has been on my mind a lot lately. When I first read these lines, I automatically assumed Varys was the perfumed seneschal, and even though I have read alternate opinions on the Westeros forum (here and here) and Reddit, my opinion is still the same.

What do you think? Is Quaithe warning Daenerys to beware Varys, Reznak mo Reznak, Garth Tyrell, the trading cog Seleasori Qhoran, or, wildcard of all wildcards, Illyrio Mopatis?

No comments: