Saturday, May 16, 2015

My First SciFi Story: A Success!

"Orion, battle spaceship" by Cronus Caelestis

So excited! I have always loved reading fantasy and science fiction, but I typically lean toward writing fantasy or realist fiction. When Southern Arkansas University hosted its annual Writing Contest, I decided I would write a scifi short fiction piece.

I had been reading Orson Scott Card's Writing Fantasy & Science Fiction, and had been inspired by the idea of generational ships and space/time travel. The resulting story, "Last Hope," won first place in the fiction category and will be published in Emergence, SAU's student literary publication!

I have placed in the SAU writing contest before, but never first place in fiction. It was a great moment for me, especially because "Last Hope" is my first real scifi story. I am getting more serious about my writing, and feel amazing that my first shot at scifi was successful.

No comments: