Wednesday, April 1, 2015

5 Songs to Listen to While Writing


I frequently listen to music while I write, and each type of writing has its own type of music. For example, when I am writing fiction, I prefer very chill and mellow music (often instrumental). Another great audio for me is ambient noise, like the sound of rain, wind, or a fire place.

Ambient noises are especially helpful when I am trying to "set the mood" for a scene; hearing rain sounds and thunder while I am writing a storm scene helps me utilize multiple sensory details that I might not have otherwise considered. My favorite source for ambient noise is A Soft Murmur.


On the other hand, if I am writing something analytical, I  prefer something upbeat and fast-paced.

This list applies more to research papers and analytical writing than creative writing.

5. An Horse  "Camp Out"


4. Kesha  "Die Young"



3. Dubstep (Okay, this one is kind of cheating because it is a mix.)


2. Norwegian Recycling  "Lights"


1. Nicki Minaj  "Stupid Hoe" (Nicki is one of my guilty pleasures. Don't judge.)



We all have different rituals when we write. Jamming out to fast-paced (sometimes naughty) music is mine.

None of these songs may be your preference, but I suggest you listen to a few and see what you think. You never know; I may have just connected you with your soul artist.

I would love to hear what you think of my choices. Leave me a comment below!


Image Source: http://pixabay.com/en/headphones-music-audio-listening-312817/

No comments: