Thursday, July 24, 2014

Thirsty Thursdays: When Taking A Sip Is More Responsible Than Binging

I don't know about you, but I am a slow reader. And when I say slow, I mean s-l-o-w.



Now I am not a slow reader because I have difficulty reading or trouble understanding concepts in the pieces I read (which wouldn't be bad, either). No, I am a slow reader because I chose to be.

When I read, I like to take my time, create the characters in my mind's eye, observe their movements and actions, imagine the way they would say their dialogue. I have been known to reread a sentence, a paragraph, or even an entire section if I feel like I can't picture the characters or the situation in just the right way.

Crazy, right?

Well, this process means that I typically don't read many books in a short amount of time. Creating full-length movies in your head every time you read, in addition to doing day-to-day things like going to work and school and doing homework and housework, doesn't leave you with much time to read many books.

I know many of you are like me. No, not the "Movie-in-my-mind" me. The "I-can't-find-the-time-to-read" me.

Well, welcome to Thirsty Thursdays!

On Thursdays, I will post information about great short story writers and poets as well as links to where you can read some of their works. Short stories and poems are a great way to squeeze reading into your busy schedule, and the best part is: the works are short, so they don't take much time to read! Just because you don't have the time to binge read, doesn't mean you can't have a responsible sip here and there.

Upcoming posts will feature the work of writers like:

Micah Dean Hicks

Natasha Trethewey

Flannery O'Connor

Have an author or genre you would like featured on Thirsty Thursdays? Comment below.



Image Sources
Turtle:http://www.visualphotos.com/photo/2x3266406/turtle_on_opened_book_close-up_ASF02784.jpg
Micah Dean Hicks: http://www.missourireview.com/tmr-blog/files/MicahDeanHicks.jpg
Natasha Trethewey: http://www.creativewriting.emory.edu/images/trethewey2gb.jpg
Flannery O'Connor: http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/sites/default/files/styles/article-top/public/m-458.jpg?itok=FT3Rf02N

2 comments:

Kody Kasper said...

Daniel(?) Wells, that wrote the Partials series. :)

Majesta Miles said...

I LOVE him! When I get back into the Partials series, I will think about writing a post.